Yeeeaaah Hot

Sunday, July 30, 2006

lady in the water

Ok - I forgot to talk about this last weekend, but Lady in the Water has got to be one of the most bizarre films that I have ever seen. Not in a cool, avant-garde way, but in that M. Night Shyamalan fell asleep at the wheel, kind of way. Seriously though - fucking bizarre. I mean, the premise has a lot of potential - but from pretty early on, the film just kind of makes a mockery of itself.

I think that a lot of people, including myself had anticipated a lot more out of this film. Ever since he hit it big with The Sixth Sense, Shyamalan has been a bit of a let down. I mean, I saw both Signs and The Village - both of which were interesting, but neither of which really lived up to the hype that they had generated.

Oh, and what really kind of bothered me about Lady in the Water, was how M. Night Shyamalan not only cast himself as one of the central characters - but how he cast himself as a prophet - a man who was writing a book that would one day change the face of humanity. Seriously though - I'll take narcissism for $500, Alex.


So before I do any more trash talking, I will say that the film wasn't that bad - it just wasn't that good. I've definitely seen worse. For me, the visual impact of a film is most often what stays with me - and I will say that visually, Lady in the Water was pretty cool. I mean, could Bryce Dallas Howard be any more stunning? There's just something about redheads. It can be très blah, but like Julianne Moore, for instance - when it works, it really works!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

People have been talking a lot of shit about this movie, but my friend and I both thought that it was pretty good.

7/31/2006 5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home