Yeeeaaah Hot

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

manolos are only necessary when the boss is around

Over the past few years, Spence grad and Columbia student (and my boo) Bee Shaffer has built herself quite an impressive résumé. Although she's only 19, she has been a contributer at Teen Vogue for several years, has spent this summer interning at New York magazine, and has a regular column in The Daily Telegraph. Bee's most recent column is about summer internships, and although I did find it to be thoroughly enjoyable, it's unintentionally hilarious.

... the actual process of acquiring an internship has become one of the most common forms of nepotism, with parents relentlessly calling in favours from friends (I must admit to abusing a few connections myself), while hard-working, intelligent and deserving students are frequently turned away so that some eminent person's daughter can have the job.

Even celebrities are taking on internships, although it is not clear how hard they work. Teen actress Mary-Kate Olsen worked for the photographer Annie Leibowitz while her twin sister Ashley did a stint at designers Zac Posen, along with first niece Lauren Bush. Harrods heiress Camilla al-Fayed spent some time at Vogue last year.

I happen to know one of Mary-Kate's fellow interns and he informed me that she didn't know what a negative was, and that when she attended a Sarah Jessica Parker shoot, she only stayed for an hour and all she did was sit and smoke Marlboro Reds. Apparently, she not only left the photo assistants dumbfounded, but also Ms Parker, who muttered: "What the hell is an Olsen twin doing here?"

... I also had to run around NY to find hand-towels for my boss and fetch the umbrella he had left at a restaurant the night before, and they wouldn't even pay my subway fare!

In terms of how to dress for an internship, I think it depends where you're working. When I started my summer job, I was very excited to wear all my new summer dresses with my Marc Jacobs heels, but I quickly realised that jeans and Converse sneakers might be more appropriate.

On the other hand, my best friend, Tess, is working at Vogue and she told me one of the most important things she learnt this summer was how to walk in heels. However, she's not complaining, adding that it's fun to get dressed up for work every morning. And she has discovered the office secret: keeping a pair of flats under your desk. Manolos are only necessary when the boss is around.

Ok, how funny that her boss makes her run dumb little errands for him. I mean, to order around Miss Anna's daughter - that guy definitely has some cojones! Meanwhile, can we discuss the fact that she says, "hard-working, intelligent and deserving students are frequently turned away so that some eminent person's daughter can have the job" - and then a few lines down the page she mentions that her best friend is interning at Vogue. Also, "Manolos are only necessary when the boss is around" - LOVE it!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So apparently the DEVIL has children? Talk about nepotism!!

8/15/2006 2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home